Saturday, September 19, 2015

Current Plans...

I have so much I want to do to my car but time and money prevent me as many other intrepid classic car drivers. I list my plans to raise questions as to what I should do or if my current plans are off center. Tell me what you think. (There is the ability to comment below.)

Exhaust

Currently my car is running open headers after the rust finally ate what was left of my pipes. Following a breakage before the muffler, the entire pipe fell below to be get twisted and require a field amputation to continue on my daily commute. Certainly I should have dealt with my exhaust's impending doom earlier but life has a way of sucking up all your time.

I currently have Ceramic coated headers from Ireland engineering and plan on purchasing a Magnaflow twin tip muffler to be put together at a custom shop but I question my decision as it is as far I have found, rather uncommon. Everyone seems to pop on a Billy Boat or some other exhaust designed for the car while I can't seem to justify $1k for the exhaust of a car running with nearly 200k miles.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E9-E3-exhaust/m30header.html
Wheels/Tires

My BBS RC090s were supposedly refurbished with nickel plated hardware but Ebay occasionally has a moment of disappointment and sells you something other than it says. My wheels were immaculate when I received them but now I find my supposedly Nickel plated bolts holding the pieces together to be covered in rust.

I want to order new hardware for my wheels and then repolish my lips to have a new set once more. But to bring up the question, where should I source my hardware. The question may have been addressed before on myE28.com but it seemed like a long headache ordering from Germany. Certainly there must be at least one source of quality stainless steel bolts here in the US...

Body Work/Euro Conversion

After sourcing a Euro Bumper set from Australia, a air dam from Croatia, and lastly a set of brackets from California, my conversion was ready to be put on but a lengthy lookover at the body shop exposed rust under the body, especially in the rear. I could put it together but should I? It seems a waste to go through with it on my car when the investment might be better attached to a finer example elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment